Falafel is one of the most delicious, nutrient-dense and easiest meals to prepare! Today we want to share a flavour-packed recipe from the Middle East, Garlicky Tahini Falafel Wraps. Lightly toasted chickpeas paired with a garlicky tahini sauce, fresh shredded veggies and wrapped in a warm pita, you can do no wrong! Made from scratch and prepared with love, these wraps are lovely as an appetizer or as part of a festive lunch spread.
Garlicky Tahini Falafel Wraps
Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 25 mins
A delicious middle eastern dish, perfect for a quick and healthy meal!
- For the Falafel
- 1.5 cups canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 tbsp flour of choice (chickpea, wheat, almond, oat)
- 1 cup of parsley and cilantro
- 1-2 tbsp of tahini
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp olive oil plus more for cooking
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, optional
- Salt and pepper
- For the Garlicky Tahini Sauce
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1/4 cup of water, or more until desired consistency is achieved
- the juice of 1 lemon or lime
- small handful of cilantro
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tsp of liquid sweetener (agave, honey, etc.)
- 1/2 cup of chopped cucumber
- 2 cups shredded red and green cabbage
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots, optional
- 1 cup of toasted chickpeas
- 1/4 cup packed cilantro and parsley, for garnish
- 1/4 cup Diced red onion
- 1/2 cup Chopped cucumber
- 4 pita wraps, warmed for serving
- In a food processor (or high-speed blender or stick blender), combine the chickpeas, flour, parsley, tahini, cilantro, garlic clove, olive oil, cumin, salt and pepper. Process until evenly combined. Once combined, roll the falafel dough into small flat patties and roll into the sesame seeds.
- In a hot pan on medium heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil and add the falafel patties. Cook each falafel on each side until golden brown, about 2 minutes each.
- While the falafel is cooking, blend the Garlicky Tahini Sauce ingredients (except the cucumber) in a food processor or blender until evenly combined. Add the chopped cucumber and mix well.
- Once the falafel is done cooking, transfer them to a plate. In the same pan, add the chickpeas and turn the pan to medium-high heat. Cook until lightly golden, about 2-3 minutes.
- Warm the pita and serve the falafel warm mixed with shredded cabbage, carrots, toasted chickpeas, fresh herbs, onion, chopped cucumber and drizzle in Garlicky Tahini Sauce. Yum!