I don’t know about you, but I’ve always been obsessed with French food. And while I love all things French, there’s a special place in my heart for a classic French Toast. This delicious dessert for breakfast has become a menu staple at hotels around the world. And when I returned home from a recent trip to Paris, I decided to make my take on a healthy French Toast recipe to enjoy this classic French breakfast on a more regular basis. So, what are you waiting for? Here is our healthy take on a classic French Toast!
Ooh la la! Our Healthy French Toast Recipe
- 6 pieces of thickly sliced bread (ciabatta works nicely, but any good quality loaf will do)
- 1 tbsp ground chia seeds
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 pinch of nutmeg and cardamom
- 1 tbsp of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of pure vanilla extract
- 1 handful of fresh berries
- Coconut cream*
- Chopped nuts, banana slices, coconut shreds, etc.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients until evenly combined. Then, in a heated pan or skillet, add 1 tbsp of coconut oil. Take 1 slice of bread and dip both sides in the almond milk mixture. Place the bread slice on the pan and let sit for about 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Be patient but be sure not to let them burn. Repeat this for each slice of bread. Next, layer the bread slices with fresh berries, maple syrup, coconut cream and other desired toppings. Get creative! Enjoy warm with loved ones.
- To make the coconut cream, simple place a can of full-fat coconut milk in the fridge overnight. Scoop out the cream at the top of the can and discard the “water”, or save to use for smoothies. Whip the cream with beaters, until it forms a whipped cream-like substance.
- Et Voila! Enjoy warm, with a scoop of Greek yogurt or coconut ice cream.
Follow us on Instagram.