Burritos, originally a type of Mexican food, have become incredibly popular all around the world for their delicious, comforting and satisfying flavours. This vegetarian spin on the burrito is no exception! The spicy beans, fresh guac, crunchy veggies, steamed rice and salsa make this meal more satisfying than ever before. This recipe is perfect for a family-style meal and make a great leftover “burrito bowl”!
Vegetarian Burrito Recipe
Prep time: 20 mins
Total time: 20 mins
- 4-6 tortilla wraps
- 1 can of black beans
- 2 tsp of taco seasoning
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup white onion, finely chopped
- 2 large avocados
- 3 roma tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 limes
- 1 cup of crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp of black pepper
- 1-2 cups of canned corn, rinsed
- 1 bunch of cilantro, finely chopped
- 4 cups of cooked rice of your choice
- A few handfuls of chopped romaine lettuce
- In a frying pan, gentle sautee the black beans with the taco seasoning, garlic and olive oil until nicely warmed.
- In a bowl, add 1/4 cup of the chopped white onion, 2 large avocados, about 1/3 of the chopped tomatoes and the juice of 1 lime. Mash until well combined, this is your guacamole!
- In a separate bowl, combine the rest of the chopped tomatoes, the crushed tomatoes and the black pepper. This is your tomato salsa!
- In another bowl, add the corn, cilantro and the juice of the other lime. This is your corn salsa!
- Add the rice and the lettuce to separate bowls and add a spoon to each bowl.
- Warm your tortillas in the oven beforehand, and scoop each ingredient into your burrito as you wish. Enjoy fresh or as leftovers in a “burrito bowl”!