I’m often asked how I got over the fear of flying, given I take hundreds of flights each year. While I have never personally had a fear of flying, I can certainly understand having a phobia – such as my inherent fear of anything creepy crawly and snakes… that’s about as bad as it gets for me. But for those that don’t feel so confident flying, here’s a good bunch of tips to help put your mind at ease…
Tips for Nervous Flyers
- Turbulence is worse at the back of the plane so be sure to ask for a seat as close to the front of the plane as possible. If you’ve missed out on a seat upfront when checking in online, when you drop your bags at the counter politely ask the lady/man at the counter if you can have a seat upfront as you have a fear of flying – my sources tell me it works every time!
- Science proves that caffeine can cause nervousness so try your best to avoid having that coffee before you head to the airport!
- It should be comforting to know that flying by air is the world’s second safest mode of transport (second only to elevators/escalators).
- Think about what you will do after you get off the plane – we both know it will be worth it once you land!
- Keep yourself busy on board with tasks that require light thinking – Sudoku is a great balance of the ‘right’ amount of concentration.
- Travel with someone who you trust as this will naturally calm you.
- Make yourself known to the airhostesses – they’re really helpful and friendly towards nervous fliers, they’ll even sit with you during take off and landing if it helps calm the nerves!
- Commercial airplanes are really safe and easy for pilots to operate. Most of the time the plane is flying itself – it’s just that safe!
Sharing is Caring! Let us know your flying tips in the comments below…